I hung out with celeb chefs Harry Soo and Meathead Goldwyn at Angel Fire Food and Wine Roundup. Here’s the scoop:
Next month I’m celebrating the last of summer with an escape to the Rocky Mountains. The end of August can be hot in Northern Arizona, so I’m looking for a cool retreat in Angel Fire, New Mexico. Some of us in the Southwest don’t know that the Rockies extend all the way down to New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment. With Angel Fire as your destination, you don’t have to drive as far away as Aspen or Vail, Colorado, to get to higher, cool temperature resort towns.
Join me in Angel Fire, for the Angel Fire Food and Wine Roundup, a foodie event which offers us the best in:
- Western cuisine,
- Wagyu beef,
- Fine wines,
- Craft brews,
- Artisanal spirits and
- Western hospitality with famous chefs, winemakers, brewers, and distillers.
I can’t wait to hob-nob with celebrity chefs, take selfies during wine tasting events and snap Instagram photos of the lake and Wheeler Peak, New Mexico’s tallest mountain. Dan will be trying something new: downhill mountain biking at Angel Fire Resort while I enjoy the food and wine. It’s not far from his first love, dirt bike riding, me thinks.
Here’s the insider’s scoop:
As a special bonus, Angel Fire RV Resort, Northern New Mexico’s premier year-round luxury camping destination, is offering a Food and Wine Roundup RV Package. The new package offers RVers a significant savings when they book a minimum 3-night RV Stay, which includes tickets to the first annual food festival. The four-day western-themed food and wine event will take place August 24 – 27, 2017.
“The Angel Fire Food and Wine RV Package is for any RVer who loves to combine their love of travel with their love for food, cooking, wine, and whiskey,” explains Kate Collins, director, Angel Fire Food and Wine Roundup. “This event will offer a little bit of something for everyone. From mushroom hunts to chuck wagon cook-offs, reserve tastings, and private chef in-home dinners. Combining the Food and Wine Roundup event with our luxury RV accommodations and all the outdoor activities we offer, it’s the perfect place to take in the last few days of summer.”
Along with any 3-night RV stay, the Angel Fire Food and Wine Roundup RV Package offers over a $350-dollar savings and tickets to the following events:
- 2 Tickets to the Thursday afternoon cooking demonstration by guest chefs Wendy and John Hail, from Hail’s Holy Smoked BBQ.
- 2 Tickets to the Thursday evening wine tasting by Black Mesa Winery.
- 2 Tickets to the Friday morning Cooking Demonstration with James Beard Foundation award-winner and cookbook author, Cheryl Alters Jamison, and Harry Soo, the head chef from Los Angeles-based Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ.
- 2 Tickets to the Saturday Grand Tasting
Located at the foot of Carson National Forest, The Angel Fire RV Resort features sophisticated amenities. These include an upscale clubhouse with outdoor firepits, a hot tub, a spa-like bathhouse, leisure games, free wi-fi and on-site laundry set amongst a serene natural wonderland. Guests can enjoy the crisp, cool air and take in the views of Wheeler Peak.
The four-day festival includes:
- Guest chef luncheons,
- Cooking demos by top chefs from around the country,
- Dutch oven cooking demos,
- Reserve tasting,
- A Grand tasting,
- Wine seminars,
- Mushroom hunts,
- Guest chef dinners in private residences,
- silent auction events and
- artisanal spirits and craft brew tastings.
In addition to all that, you could opt to take part in a Boot Scootin’ BBQ and Western Dance at the Angel Fire Resort Country Club, a benefit golf tournament, a Bloody Good Bacon Brunch and Chuck Wagon Breakfast event – check prices.
Chicago’s, Meathead Goldwyn; Texan Cowboy Gourmet Chefs, Tom and Lisa Perini; and Harry Soo, Head Chef at LA-based Slap Yo Daddy BBQ are just a few of the attending chefs leading cooking demos.
- Chef Goldwyn is the founder, barbecue whisperer, and hedonism evangelist behind www.amazingribs.com – one of the world’s most popular outdoor cooking websites, and author of the New York Times Best Seller “Meathead. The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling.”
- Chef Tom Perini and his wife, Lisa are best known for perfecting traditional cowboy cuisine for the past 40 years at Perini Ranch Steakhouse, a gourmet Cowboy restaurant located on the working ranch in Buffalo Gap, Texas.
- Slap Yo Daddy BBQ is the love child of TLC’s BBQ Pitmasters Head Cook Harry Soo. Slap Yo Daddy BBQ, one of the top-ranked Kansas City BBQ Society teams in America, was chosen among over 5,000 professional teams to appear on TLC’s BBQ Pitmasters Season One in 2010. In the Season Finale, SYD stunned the nation by defeating all the teams in the show including two BBQ World Champions in the winner-take-all Rib Throwdown in Texas.
- Angel Fire Resort’s head chef from Elements Restaurant Kevin McCaffery will be serving the Boot Scootin’ BBQ and the Bloody Good Bacon Brunch.
Read about UNSTOPPABLE Stacey’s New Mexico Wine Fest experience here:
Angel Fire RV Resort https://angelfirervresort.com